Oatmeal raisin cookies are as much as a staple in a lunch box as chocolate chip cookies. Making them with shortening makes them soft and crunchy at the same time. You won’t want to wait for them to cool down out of the oven to take a bite.
Prep time: 15
Cook time: 12-15
Serves: 15-20 (5 dozen cookies)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flower (If using self-rising flour, omit salt and baking soda.)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup regular raisins
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- Heat oven to 350˚
- Mix sugars, shortening, egg, water and vanilla.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls about 1 inch apart onto greased cookie sheet.
- Bake until almost no indentation remains when touched, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Immediately remove from cookie sheet.
- Store in airtight container.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.