Rugelach or nut horn is a mixture of textures that explode in your mouth. A soft pillowy dough made with butter and sour cream becomes a vehicle for a cinnamon sugar nut filling. There are many variations on fillings. You can spread jam and sprinkle it with nuts, you can use nuts and chocolate chips, apricot jam and coconut. I’ve even experimented with Key Lime preserves and pecans. The dough is so versatile the only limitation you have is in your mind.
Prep time: 20 mins
- 1/2 lb. softened butter
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup ground walnuts or pecans
- Jam (Optional)
- Cream butter, flour and sour cream.
- Wrap in waxed paper and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Divide dough into 4 parts.
- Roll each part into a circle on well floured board.
- Combine cinnamon and sugar and nuts and sprinkle onto dough.
- Cut into small wedges, radiating from center.
- Roll up each wedge from wider end.
- Place on greased cookie sheet and bake at 350˚ for 15 minutes or until golden, or heat small bottle of favorite jam on rolled circle. Add nuts. Eliminate cinnamon and sugar. Bake as above.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.