As most of you know, when planning your Passover meal dessert always ends up being a sponge cake with strawberries and whipped cream. This chocolate mousse cake is a great alternative. Decadent and rich it’s a chocolate lovers dream. Because it’s flourless it’s also gluten free.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 45 mins
Total time: 1 hrs
- 2 8-ounce packages semisweet chocolate
- 2 cups butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- chocolate glaze (To make: in heavy pan over low heat, heat one 6-ounce package semisweet-chocolate pieces (1 cup and 2 Tbsp. butter, stirring frequently until soft and smooth) Remove pan from heat; beat in 3 Tbsp. milk and 2 Tbsp. light corn syrup.
- Preheat oven to 350˚. Grease 10″ by 3″ springform pan.
- In heavy 3-quart saucepan over low heat, heat semisweet chocolate, butter, sugar, half-and-half, vanilla extract, and salt, stirring frequently, until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth.
- In large bowl, with wire whisk, beat eggs slightly; slowly beat warm chocolate mixture into eggs until well blended.
- Pour batter into spring-form pan so that it spreads evenly.
- Bake 45 minutes until toothpick inserted in cake 2 inches from edge comes out clean. Cool cake completely in pan on wire rack.
- When cake is cool, carefully remove side of pan; wrap cake, still on pan bottom, in plastic wrap and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 6 hours.
- Prepare Chocolate Glaze (To make: in heavy pan over low heat, heat one 6-ounce package semisweet-chocolate pieces (1 cup and 2 Tbsp. butter, stirring frequently until soft and smooth) Remove pan from heat; beat in 3 Tbsp. milk and 2 Tbsp. light corn syrup.
- Unwrap cake; remove from pan bottom. Line cake plate with waxed-paper strips. Place cake on plate and spread with warm glaze. Discard waxed paper.
- In small bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Spoon whipped cream into decorating bag with medium star tube and pipe cream around the edge of cake.
- Freeze up to four weeks.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.