What’s a Jewish holiday without homemade chicken soup? Also known as Jewish penicillin it is a cure for what ails you. Chicken soup can be eaten just as a broth or with rice, noodles, and matzoh balls.
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 4 hrs
Total time: 4 hrs 30 mins
- 6 lb pullet, washed under cold running water, fat removed, cut up
- 1 small parsnip, peeled, halved
- 3 stalks celery, halved
- 2 onions, peeled, sliced
- 4 carrots, peeled, halved
- 3 springs parsley, stems removed
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt or to taste
- 2 cups tiny noodles, cooked
- 2 gallons water
- Put chicken into deep soup kettle.
- Add water.
- Heat to boil slowly; use slotted spoon to skim off any scum that appears.
- Add parsnip, celery, carrots, onions, parsley and 1 tsp. salt.
- Simmer uncovered for four hours, adding more water if needed.
- Remove from heat; strain through colander.
- Then strain liquid through triple thickness of cheesecloth set in wire strainer.
- Refrigerate liquid covered until fat solidifies.
- Remove every globule of fat from top of soup until only a clear gold liquid remains.
- Heat to simmer.
- Taste for Salt.
- Meanwhile, allow vegetables and chicken to cool. When cool, remove meat from chicken; cut into small shreds or pieces. Cut carrots into round slices. Discard bones, skin and other vegetables.
- Serve soup with noodles, carrot and pieces of chicken as cold victims begin to recover.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.